Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Forest Green Ecology

FOREST GREEN VILLAGE GREEN ECOLOGICAL REPORT

Before we stumbled into the current crazy covid fuelled world we live in, the Parish Council instructed two eminent ecologists to survey the green at Forest Green. It is clear for all to see how flower and species-rich this area is. Just sit outside the pub on a sunny summer's evening and revel in the buzzing and fluttering, the smell of wild herbs, and the sight of waving flowers. However, if the Parish Council and the APRGC are to continue looking after these greens, it is vital that we know what we are looking after.

We received the outcomes of the report (attached below) and I have to say my reaction can be summed up in one word. WOW! With my other hat on, I am a National Trust Lead Ranger and it would seem that few of my grassland sites can hold a candle to Forest Green village Green.

In the words of Giles Groome (Ecologist in question). “Forest Green is of considerable nature conservation importance. All qualify for selection as a Site of Nature Conservation Importance (SNCI). At least parts meet the criteria for selection as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI).”

So what does this mean?

Well, SNCI’s and SSSI’s are the jewels in the crown of conservation in this country. To put it simply, the village green is of national importance for its biodiversity and the rarity of its habitats. In a world where 98% of our flower meadows have been lost to intensification and overgrazing, Forest Green is a wonder. For any of you who look out of your houses onto the green, please know that there is next to nowhere that you could get a more nationally important and biodiverse view.

What now?

As a result of this survey, the Parish Council and APRGC would like to celebrate this ecological spectacle by commissioning an interpretation board to explain what is so special about these habitats. We must continue with sensitive cutting for hay, as this has been the main factor in saving this habitat. We must also work with the whole community to protect the green from non-native species such as daffodils and other garden escapees. We would also ask for all your help to keep the green free of litter and not to dump any garden waste on it (I know you don’t, but I thought it was worth mentioning).  Lastly, we will be looking elsewhere in the Parish to see if we can improve some of our grasslands to get somewhere near the staggering success of Forest Green.

Let’s all look after our green, it’s a national treasure.

Councillor Henry Barnard FLS MRSB